Question:
Biodiesel and Injection Timing?
Silver
2007-05-11 17:52:01 UTC
What should I do to the injection timing to improve performance / optimum reduction in emissions when running biodiesel (B20 - 20% Biodiesel)?

Should it be the same as when I run 100% diesel? What is the link, if any, between the properties of biodiesel and the injection timining?

I have to run fully advanced timing to avoide excessive smoke during hard acceleration. Any idea why?
Five answers:
Milezpergallon
2007-05-16 20:12:33 UTC
Excess smoke in a diesel is a sign of incomplete combustion due to a rich condition. It is normal in all diesels under full throttle acceleration. All of mine do it too. It is referred to as the "black smoke limit". Go to the auto parts store and get a bottle of "Diesel Kleen". Add 1 ounce to the tank before every fill up. It boosts mileage (pays for the bottle at least twice over) and performance by boosting the cetane value, so you won't have to reach the "black smoke limit" as often. Lots of biodiesel users and veggie oil burners swear by it. I learned about it on the biodiesel.infopop.cc site.

Here's some info about it:

http://www.powerservice.com/dieselkleen_cetane.asp

By advancing the timing, you are giving the fuel a fraction of a second longer to find available oxygen to combust properly. I don't see a problem with that, if you usually run your car in a higher average RPM range than normal. At higher RPM there is obviously less time for the O2 to find the HC's anyway. You might notice you may not be able to upshift as early with out vibration though, as at low RPM's combustion is beginning too far before TDC pushing down on the piston, as the piston is rising, hurting gas mileage and efficiency at low RPM.

Try the additive first is my suggestion and sure way not to cause have any unwanted adverse effects. I think you'll notice a pleasant smile start to form every time you step on the gas knowing you're helping to do your part to reduce global warming too. :)

Cheers!
2007-05-12 09:55:43 UTC
One expert suggests reducing the injection timing setting by 2-3 degrees. This will make the engine run quieter and burn fuel at cooler temperatures. Not clear to me if this improves rather than decreases efficiency of burning the biodiesel, hence concentration of emissions. My site has more stuff on biodiesel including about how to make it yourself: If interested: http://www.alternate-energy-sources.com/biomass-energy.html
Yoho
2007-05-15 06:45:55 UTC
Run it with the same timing. Reducing timing will lower you power there by making you push down on the gas just to get upto speed.
RelientKayers
2007-05-18 16:38:02 UTC
the same timing is better because of the less power you get.
David W
2007-05-17 10:31:49 UTC
I don't know, but have you tried checking wikipedia?