Question:
Should we upgrade to alternative fuel vehicles now or wait until our current cars conk out?
paua_power
2007-04-22 21:55:44 UTC
Should we upgrade to alternative fuel vehicles now or wait until our current cars conk out?
Four answers:
2007-04-22 22:05:41 UTC
I would wait till your car conks out because the fuel saving vehicles will get better in the next few years and they might be cheaper. Gas will probably be alot more expensive too in a few years and it will be better for a gas saving car. So I would just wait.
apeweek
2007-04-23 18:35:30 UTC
----

There is one alternative fuel which is ready right now, today. It's electricity. Take a look at this new electric car:

*

http://phoenixmotorcars.com/models/fleet.html

*

The Phoenix electric pickup truck - using new, advanced Altairnano batteries (based on research from MIT) - can:

-Travel up to 250 miles per charge

-Carry 5 passengers plus cargo at 95mph.

-Charges batteries in as little as TEN MINUTES.

-Has batteries that last 250,000 miles (never need replacement.)

*

Look carefully, because the battery problems have all been solved. When chargers are installed in service stations, you can drive just like you do every day. Yes, it is a real car - being manufactured right now for fleet customers like PG&E.

*

Driving on electricity is very cheap. I drive a freeway-capable EV (a very old one.) My cost for electricity is only about a penny per mile, much, much cheaper than gasoline. And electric cars need very little maintenance. Electric motors have only one moving part, and can run for decades with no service. My own 25-year-old EV still has all the original motor parts - which have never needed service in all that time.

*

All it takes is a little courage, and an adventurous spirit. I bought my EV used from eBay for only $2000, and I've had lots of fun with it (including riding it in local parades.)

*

Here's how to find cheap EVs:

http://www.squidoo.com/cheap-electric-car/

---
lethander_99
2007-04-23 05:04:47 UTC
Alternative fuels are no where near ready to be online.. noone is even sure what route they will take, they need to decide on a standard.. until there are filling stations from Maine to California it willnot catch on.. the current methods take the use of fossle fuels to make so they are just a feel good patch
2007-04-23 05:17:45 UTC
Despite our good intentions, upgrading now - before our current one conks out - damages the environmental by creating unecessary waste.